Research Clerk 1
The Research Clerk 1 position, under direct supervision, researches utility termination warnings, potential missing bills and late fees. The person who fills this will position also analyze payment history, negotiate and arrange payment with utility vendors or execute alternative solutions as deemed necessary to avoid client shut-off of utility service. This position is responsible for the removal of client's late fees and responds to calls received via the hotline.
Primary position responsibilities:
- Under direct supervision, researches utility termination warnings, potential missing bills and late fees by reviewing payment history, account posting and status of check clearing to determine whether further action is required on notices, according to department procedures.
- Contacts utility vendors via telephone to determine reason and amount of balance due. Verifies address and that payment has been applied to proper account.
- With guidance, negotiates a date extension for receipt of payment or arranges alternative solutions to avoid a client shut-off of utility service, as necessary. In addition, negotiates with the vendor to remove of late fees and penalties assessed to the account.
- Prepares and provides written correspondence via email or fax of copy of check remittance to vendors as deemed necessary to resolve shut-off possibility. Request replacement bills from vendor as needed.
- Processes payment research items such as misapplied and stop payments, reissue checks and pay now. Responsible for working closely with internal staff and vendors to minimize and correct errors, answer inquires and resolve bill/account discrepancies.
- With some supervision, operates the termination research, missing bill and late fee databases. Organizes daily work within the termination research, missing bill and late fee databases utilizing department standards and procedures in prioritizing and identifying the most critical research items.
- Review and contact vendors listed on various late fee reports monthly. Determine which vendors’ late fees should be targeted and contact vendor to request removal charges based on established departmental procedures. Document the results/status of the phone call in the late fee database.
- Answer vendor hotline and assist vendors with questions on a timely basis, within 2 hours of receipt of call or message.
- Contact vendors who bill summary and round up/donation invoices and have the clients removed from those specific billing formats. Follow up on outstanding requests to ensure they have been removed.
- Provides and maintains concise documentation of research, accurate production task time sheets and updated departmental standards and procedures, as required.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Works overtime as required.
Knowledge and minimum requirements:
- Ability to effectively communicate (verbal and written) and maintain a positive composure.
- Possess good interpersonal skills.
- Possess organizational skills in order to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize work
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including but not limited to computers, copiers, calculators and facsimile machines.
- Ability to perform basic functions in MS Office suite.
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Minimum six months of previous telephone experience normally acquired working in a customer service or collection position, or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of Word and Excel preferred
- General knowledge of the principles and practices of the utility billing process
Please apply directly to this position via the “Apply Here” button. You will be required to create an account and provide your resume, contact information and other pertinent employment information. This process typically takes 20 minutes or less. Should we find that you meet the minimum requirement of the position, a member of our recruiting team will be in touch to start the interview process.
About our company:
Cass Information Systems is the nation's leading provider of payment and information services for Corporate America’s freight, utility, waste and telecom expenses. We are a business-to-business solutions provider focused on invoice processing, payment, auditing and business intelligence services. We are strongly committed to providing consistently high-quality service to our customers and deeply committed to the welfare and professional growth of our staff.